In today’s world, Emotional Quotient (EQ) is given more importance than Intelligence Quotient (IQ), be it an employer recruiting for his company or a person looking for a life partner.
WHY IS EQ MORE IMPORTANT THAN IQ??
The most important quality for a manager or employee is the ability to deal with people. Even if you have all the intelligence and qualification in the world, if you cannot tactfully deal with people with an empathetic essence, you cannot succeed. As a manager, if you are not Emotionally Intelligent you will not be able to earn that respect from your team and get the best out of them. After all, employees leave bosses not companies.
In a relationship, one seeks a caring and understanding partner. When we say ‘Understanding’, it simply means understanding the feelings of the opposite person and behaving in an empathetic manner.
Emotional Intelligence is putting yourself in the opposite person’s shoes, understanding their emotions and behaving in a manner that you would like, had you been in that situation.
10 tips to increase your EQ:
- Be self-aware – of your emotions and the way you interact with others
- Dump that negative Ego – it will make you emotionally weak and ruin relationships
- Take responsibility – stop blaming, complaining and criticising
- Treat others with respect – just as you’d like others to respect you
- Mind your language – words have a huge impact, so be mindful
- Listen patiently when someone is narrating their problem – don’t interrupt
- Pause and imagine how the other person might be feeling
- Reflect back, don’t just assume – Paraphrase – ‘’It sounds that you are upset about……”
- Validate their feelings – use statements like – “I understand how you feel”
- Offer support – go that extra mile.